It’s a Springtime #SundaySupper, and you know what springtime means… up next is bathing suit season. That calls for cheesecake. Oh wait, I don’t like cheesecake, unless it’s these Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups.
Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups
Look, portion control! Plus they are gluten-free, grain-free, can be refined-sugar-free, high in protein, low in carbs. Heck, even with my temporary blood sugar issues, I can eat
one two one… OK, OK, I’ll admit it – two.
For #SundaySupper this week, we are celebrating all things spring with a fun event hosted by Amber of Mama’s Blissful Bites. Today is St. Patrick’s Day, so we’ve got green food for you, and Irish-inspired dishes and desserts. But we also have lots of recipes that celebrate the bounty of the season – asparagus and leeks and lemons and lots of light salads. Well, right now (actually for the past several weeks), I have been getting some gorgeous strawberries in the grocery store. So I thought I would make a sweet treat that is light and and just sweet enough. It’s time to move on from the heavy, rich comfort foods of winter – it’s SPRING!!
Last Friday, my hubby was awesome enough to watch The Bug and my friend’s two kids so that a couple of my girlfriends and I could run down the street and get some Thai food for dinner. You know, sort of my last Girls’ Night Out before the baby is born. Well, what Girls’ Night is complete without dessert?! But with the gestational diabetes and wheat allergy, my dessert options are fairly limited, so that is where this idea was born. An almond “crust”, just a bit of honey, with most of the sweetness coming from the natural sugars of the strawberries, and protein to balance those carbs in the form of mascarpone cheese and Greek yogurt. And just a bit of shaved dark chocolate because, you know, what isn’t better without a little chocolate?
But just because it is good-for-you doesn’t mean it isn’t GOOD. This was awesome! My friends were stuffed, but finally gave in to having one – and they were glad they had just enough room. They totally raved about these Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups! Heck, my friend’s 1 1/2 year old wanted to devour mama’s entire dessert, even after she had her mac and cheese, hot dogs, veggies, and a little snack. And that same friend gave up sweets & treats for Lent, but these weren’t really dessert – more like a sweet snack, a yogurt parfait, if you will. Totally acceptable! And definitely just the perfect little treat to hit the sweet spot after a filling dinner.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite springtime recipes with us! Follow the #SundaySupper hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
And check out all of the tasty things my friends are sharing at the bottom of this post!
What is your favorite springtime fruit or veggie? I adore strawberries and asparagus!
- 1 c shopped strawberries
- 1 T Triple Sec, Grand Marnier, or orange juice
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- ½ c plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani 0% Plain)
- 2 T honey
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 c ground almonds
- 1 T honey
- ½ oz. dark chocolate, grated (I used Ghirardelli 70% Cacao Extra Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar, and grated it with a Microplane grater)
- 6 small strawberries, optional
- Combine strawberries and liqueur or orange juice, and let sit for about 30 minutes.
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl, and stir until smooth and fully combined.
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl, and stir until the honey is evenly distributed and the mixture is slightly crumbly.
- Divide the almond mixture between 6 glasses or bowls, about 2½ T in each, and press down slightly.
- Top almond mixture with about 1 T berries in each glass or bowl.
- Divide the cheesecake filling between the glasses or bowls, about ¼ c in each.
- Divide the remaining berries between the glasses or bowls, about 1 T in each, and divide any juice that may have collected between the glasses or bowls.
- Sprinkle the grated chocolate over each of the cheesecake cups, and top with a strawberry, if desired.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Can be made the night before and kept chilled until serving.
And don’t forget to check out all of these other springtime recipes from my #SundaySupper friends:
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by BalSinfully Good Drizzles
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Savory Crepes with Prawns, Broccoli and Hollandaise Sauce by Masala Herb
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Whimpy Vegetarian
Apps, Bread, Salads, Soups and Dressings:
- Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread by The Meltaways
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
Main and Sides:
- Pea Shoot Risotto by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Gruyère and Hazelnuts by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Key Lime Cream Cheese Empanadas by La Cocina de Leslie
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Gluten Free Carrot Cookies by Simply Gourmet
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Roll Cake by The Ninja Baker
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Chocolate Pudding with Irish Cream by Buffy and George
- Strawberry Empanadas by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Guinness Beer Milkshake by The Urban Mrs
- Wines to Pair with Springtime #SundaySupper Dishes by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Irish Spring Tea Party by My Cute Bride
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Fizzy Citrus Cocktails by The Messy Baker
Want to see lots more yummy food from me and my friends, and cute pictures of my kid?