Cookie cups are perfect for times when you want a decadent dessert with built in portion control. This flourless dessert is gluten free, and its festive touch makes it perfect for Christmas!
After all, what says “Christmas” more than hot chocolate… in cookie form… with Nutella? That’s kind of what I was going for here. Chocolaty hazelnut cookie cups, topped with a fluffy marshmallow buttercream. A heavenly dessert, which is why I call these Flourless Nutella Marshmallow Cloud Cookie Cups.
So remember that marshmallow frosting from yesterday? And remember how I told you about making one recipe and divvying it up and changing it around? Yup, did it again! #sorrynotsorry.
I’ve made these flourless Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies from Cooking on the Weekends a few times. Love ’em. But you’ll notice the edges get a little crumbly, so they are fairly tender cookies. I really wanted to make a marshmallow filled Nutella cookie, but when I tried to wrap this dough around some marshmallows, well, let’s just say that The Hubby said they looked like rhino crap. Insanely delicious rhino crap, mind you, but a cookie that had to be chipped off the cookie sheet and crumbled over ice cream is definitely not blog-worthy.
So I decided to put the dough into a mini muffin tin and make cookie cups!
I was a little afraid about stuffing with marshmallows again, though I will give that another shot in the future. But since I found and made the marshmallow buttercream, I just figured I’d pipe some on top of these babies. And there you have it, the highly interesting history of the birth of Flourless Nutella Marshmallow Cloud Cookie Cups.
Don’t worry about all that. Just make them and eat them!
Do you have any cookie disaster stories to share?
Speaking of sharing, these cookie cups are definitely share-worthy. Here’s the recipe:
- 1 c Nutella or other chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 egg white
- ¼ c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Marshmallow Buttercream
- Sprinkles, colored sugar, nonpareils, etc. for decorating, if desired
- 1 c milk
- 2 c mini marshmallows
- 1 c unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 t vanilla extract
- ½ c powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a mini muffin tin liberally with cooking spray.
- Using a fork, blend the Nutella with the egg whites until fully incorporated.
- Mix in the cocoa powder, and then the chocolate chips.
- Divide the dough between the 24 muffin cups and press down.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges look set. The middles will not look done. That's ok. They will set up as they cool.
- Remove pans from the oven and place on a cooling rack until cooled completely.
- Once fully cooled, gently remove from the muffin tin, frost with the Marshmallow Buttercream, and decorate with sprinkles, etc., if desired.
- These are best stored in the refrigerator until near when you are ready to eat them.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the milk and marshmallows and gently melt, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool.
- Using a hand mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer running, slowly pour in the marshmallow mixture and vanilla. At this point, it may start to look like it has separated a bit.
- While continuing to whip the frosting, gradually add the powdered sugar and whip until light and creamy.
- Use immediately on completely cooled cookie cups.
Need some more Nutella goodness?
- Crunchy & Chewy Chocolate Hazelnut Granola
- Bana-Nutella Chip No-Cook Ice Cream
- Banilla Nutella Frozen Yogurt Pops
And be sure to visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Wands – Cravings of a Lunatic.
- Chewy Brownies – Juanita’s Cocina
- Chocolate-Peppermint Puff Pastry Bites – The Weekend Gourmet.
- Pomegranate Margaritas – Dinners, Dishes, and Deserts.
- Gingerbread Cheesecake Cupcakes – Chocolate Moosey.
- Gingerbread Whoopie Pies with Maple Poached Pears and Maple Buttercream – Pineapple and Coconut.
- Cranberry Bliss Bars – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks.
- Reindeer Cookies – Noshing With The Nolands.
- Mo’s Easy Homemade Eggnog – Food Lust People Love.
- Spiced Madeleines – The Dutch Baker’s Daughter.
- Flourless Nutella Marshmallow Cloud Cookie Cups – Cupcakes & Kale Chips.
- Pear and Dried Cranberry Baked Custard – See Aimee Cook.
- Bacon Bark – Cooking In Stilettos.
- Snowflake Cake – Dizzy Busy and Hungry.
- Gingerbread Sugar Cookies – Rants From My Crazy Kitchen.
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies – Try Anything Once Culinary.
- Hot Chocolate Biscotti – Home Cooking Memories.