Flourless Chocolate Almond Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches for #IceCreamWeek
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips, cookie adapted from It's Yummi
Recipe type: Dessert, Ice Cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- About one pint coconut gelato, ice cream, or sorbet (homemade or storebought)
- Shredded sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with silicon baking mats or parchment.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg.
- Add the almond butter, brown sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder, and vanilla, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in the chopped almonds.
- Form balls with about 2 tablespoons of dough, place about six or seven on each baking sheet, a couple of inches apart, and press down to form thick disks.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until set but still slightly soft to the touch.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove gelato or sorbet from the freezer to soften slightly.
- Sandwich about one-quarter cup of gelato or sorbet between two cookies. If desired, roll the edges in coconut.
- Place the sandwiches in the freezer until ready to serve.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2014/08/21/chocolate-almond-coconut-ice-cream-sandwiches/