Lightened-Up Penne and Tomato Cream Sauce with Peas & Prosciutto for #SundaySupper
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Recipe type: Pasta, Dinner
- 16 oz. penne pasta (regular, whole wheat or gluten free), cooked al dente
- 4 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into strips or small pieces.
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- half of a medium onion, diced
- one 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (I use Tuttorosso which has basil in it. If your brand does not, you may want to add some fresh or dried basil)
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (I recommend a good parmigiano reggiano)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ tsp kosher salt, or to taste, and freshly ground black pepper
- Additiona grated or shaved parmesan cheese for serving, if desired
- Cook the pasta slightly al dente. While the water is boiling and pasta cooking, prepare the sauce.
- Prehat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the prosciutto and cook, tossing around occasionally, until crispy, about 10 minutes or so. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan, and, once melted, add the onion, sauteing 3-5 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and bring to a gentle simmer, then stir in the Greek yogurt, parmesan cheese, peas, and salt and pepper.
- Return to a gentle simmer, being careful not to boil so that you don't curdle the Greek yogurt.
- Stir in the pasta and heat it through. Serve with additional parmesan cheese, if desired.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2014/05/11/penne-tomato-cream-sauce/