Vegan Vegetable Tomato Sauce with Chickpeas
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Recipe type: Main, Pasta, Vegetarian, Vegan
- 1 tsp olive oil
- one medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, finely shredded
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- one 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (I use Tuttorosso, which has basil, so if you use another brand, you may want to add dried or fresh basil)
- one 16 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- salt & pepper
- pasta or polenta for serving
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, zucchini, carrot, oregano, parsley, and red pepper, and season with salt and pepper. Saute for 5-8 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and begin to caramelize.
- Add balsamic vinegar, crushed tomatoes, and chickpeas and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cook for at least 10-15 minutes, or until heated through, or simmer longer if desired, until ready to serve.
- Serve over pasta or polenta.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2014/04/10/vegan-vegetable-tomato-sauce-chickpeas/