Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 tsp coconut or olive oil
- half of a medium onion, chopped
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 clove of garlic, minched
- 1 tsp minced or grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup Thai red curry paste
- one can coconut milk (I used light)
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- salt & pepper
- water or vegetable broth, if needed to adjust thickness
- In a large sauce pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the squash, onion, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onion and squash are starting to get tender.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and curry paste, and saute for another minute or two, until fragrant.
- Add the coconut milk, cover, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- Puree with an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender or food processor.
- Return soup to the pot, return to a simmer and stir in the peanut butter and soy sauce or tamari.
- If thicker than you desire, add water or vegetable broth to thin it out.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2014/03/09/thai-coconut-curry-butternut-squash-soup/