Patatas a La Riojana (Rioja-Style Potato & Chorizo Stew) for a #SundaySupper Tapas Party
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 9 oz Spanish chorizo, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp sweet pimenton (See Note)
- 1 tsp hot pimenton (See Note)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-3/4 inch cubes and patted dry with paper towels
- 4 c chicken stock or broth
- Heat oil in a large fry pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two, until fragrant, then add the chorizo and cook until starting to brown.
- Add the salt, sweet and hot pimenton, and bay leaf and fry the spices for a couple minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stir to coat in the oils and spices.
- Pour in the chicken stock, cover, bring to a simmer, then remove the lid and cook for about 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the liquid has reduced by about half.
- If serving Tapas-style, serve in small warmed dishes.
Adapted from the Tapas Essentials course at the French Culinary Institute.
Spanish paprika is known as pimenton. You could probably substitute regular and hot paprika (or perhaps chili powder for the hot) if you cannot find pimenton.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2014/01/19/patatas-riojana-rioja-potato-chorizo-tapas-party/