Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Stuffing
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Recipe type: Side Dish, Thanksgiving
- 6 cups (1-12oz bag) of Rudi's Gluten-Free Stuffing
- 4 oz. (about 5 slices) bacon
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 medium apples, peeled and chopped into about 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 c (about 4 oz.) sharp cheddar cheese, cut into about 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 c (about 2 oz.) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 400° and coat a 2-quart baking dish with oil or cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove from the pan to cool and drain on a paper towel. Set aside.
- Leave about 2 Tbsp of the bacon grease in the pan, add the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, add the onion, salt, and pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften, scraping up any of the bits that may remain from coking the bacon.
- Add the apples, and cook for another minute or two.
- Sitr in the sage, turn off the heat, and set aside (can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator).
- Empty the bag of Rudi’s Gluten-Free stuffing mix to a large mixing bowl, and add the onion-apple mixture. Crumble in the reserved bacon. Stir to incorporate.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock, then stir in the egg.
- Gently stir in the cubed cheddar cheese, and transfer the stuffing to the baking dish, pressing it down.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the top of the stuffing.
- Cover with a lid or tented aluminum foil and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until heated through, and the stuffing and cheese has browned.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2013/10/31/apple-bacon-and-cheddar-cheese-stuffing-gluten-free-giveaway/