Mini Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes with Browned Butter Pumpkin Spice Frosting
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Recipe type: Cupcake, Cookie, Dessert
- One container of Pillsbury Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, or another pre-made or homemade chocolate chip cookie dough (see Note*)
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, divided, 1/2 stick at room temperature
- 2 T dark brown sugar
- 1/4 c pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pound box powdered sugar
- Additional powdered sugar or milk, if necessary to adjust consistency
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a mini muffin tin (with 24 cups) with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide cookie dough between the 24 cups, about 1 T in each.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Cool in pan for several minutes before removing to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, slowly melt butter in a pan over medium-low heat, then cook slowly until butter is dark golden brown and smells nutty. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Place remaining softened 1/2 stick of butter in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until creamy.
- Slowly beat in the browned butter, then add the pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, beating until combined.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until thick and fluffy, adding additional milk or powdered sugar to achieve the desired consistency.
- When the cookie cupcakes are cooled, pipe on or frost with the Browned Butter Pumpkin Spice Frosting.
If you use another cookie dough, you may have to adjust quantity and/or baking time and temperature.
Frosting barely adapted from Picky Palate
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2013/10/17/mini-chocolate-chip-cookie-cupcakes-browned-butter-pumpkin-spice-frosting-october-improvchallenge/