Eggplant Parmigiana Pasta Casserole
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Recipe type: Main, Pasta, Vegetarian
- About 4 c of eggplant, cut into about 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/2 T olive oil
- half of a large or one medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- 1 t dried parsley
- 1 t dried basil
- 1/8 t crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 c dry red wine
- One 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (I always use Tuttorosso)
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz. penne or ziti, cooked slightly al dente, according to package instructions (I used gluten-free quinoa pasta
- 8 oz. mozzarella, thinly sliced (I used fresh mozzarella, though I am sure the regular kind will work just fine)
- 1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c Italian seasoned bread crumbs (I used gluten-free)
- Optional: additional pasta sauce and/or parmesan cheese for serving.
- Place the eggplant in a bowl or colander, and sprinkle with salt. Let sit for abut 10 minutes, and squeeze out the moisture with a kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until softened and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two, until fragrant.
- Add the eggplant and dried herbs, and saute for 5-6 minutes, until eggplant is starting to soften.
- Add the red wine, reduce for a minute or two, then add the tomatoes, and simmer till heated through.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 400°F, and prepare the pasta. Coat a casserole dish with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Combine the pasta with the eggplant and sauce mixture, and layer about half in the casserole dish.
- Layer about half of the mozzarella slices on top of the pasta mixture, sprinkle with 1/4 c parmesan cheese and 1/4 c breadcrumbs.
- Layer the remaining pasta mixture in the casserole dish, and top with the remaining mozzarella, parmesan and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2013/09/19/eggplant-parmigiana-pasta-casserole-september-improvchallenge/