Beef & Potato Skillet Supper
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Recipe type: Dinner, Beef, Main
- 1 T olive oil
- one medium onion or half of a large onion, chopped
- oz. mushrooms, sliced (I used baby bellas, but white mushrooms would be fine, also)
- 1 lb white potatoes, sliced about 1/4 in. thick (peeled, if desired)
- 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t dry mustard
- 1 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1 c plain Greek yogurt (I used nonfat Chobani)
- 2 c (about 8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese (I used Cabot Light Sharp Cheddar)
- 2 T cornstarch
- 1/4 c water
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the onions, and cook 2-3 minutes,or until starting to soften and turn translucent.
- Add potatoes and a pinch of salt and pepper, and saute for 4-5 minutes to start to cook and slightly brown the potatoes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 4-5 minutes, or until mushrooms are softened.
- Remove the contents of the skillet to a bowl and set aside.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and add the ground beef, a pinch of salt and pepper, and garlic powder.
- Cook until the ground beef is fully coked through and browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Drain any excess grease from the pan.
- Add the potato mixture back to the skillet with the gorund beef, and add paprika, dry mustard, and chicken broth, cover and simmer 5-10 minutes, or until the potatoes have softened.
- Add Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese, and stir until combined and cheese has completely melted.
- Slurry the cornstarch in the water and add to the skillet.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened and heated through.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2013/09/15/beef-potato-skillet-supper-sundaysupper-around-familydinnertable/