Basil Balsamic Strawberries & Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese for #SundaySupper
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips, with Whipped Feta adapted from How Sweet It Is
Recipe type: Sandwich, Lunch, Dinner
- 8 oz. feta cheese
- 2 oz. cream cheese (I used light cream cheese)
- 2 T Greek yogurt (I used Chobani 0% Plain)
- 1 c sliced strawberries
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T basil cut into a chiffonade (fine ribbons)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices of your bread of choice (I used whole wheat and Rudi's Gluten-Free Sandwich Breads)
- Whipped Feta
- olive oil in a spray bottle
- Aged balsamic vinegar, or regular balsamic vinegar that has been reduced to a syrup (optional, but soooo delicious)
- Crumble the feta into a food processor, then pulse until crumbly.
- Add the cream cheese and Greek yogurt, and process for several minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Place in the refrigerator to firm up slightly before making the grilled cheese.
- Combine the strawberries, balsamic vinegar, basil, and pepper in a small bowl, and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Spread 2-3 T of the whipped feta on each of the eight slices of bread.
- Divide the strawberry mixture between four of the slices of bread, and top each one with one of the slices that just has cheese.
- Heat a large pan over high heat, and coat with the olive oil spray.
- Place the sandwiches in the pan, spray the tops with olive oil, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until bread is golden brown.
- Uncover, flip sandwiches, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until second side is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Drizzle with aged balsamic, or balsamic reduction, if desired (Do this! Trust me!)
- Let sit for a minute or two before cutting.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2013/03/03/basil-balsamic-strawberries-whipped-feta-grilled-cheese-for-sundaysupper/