Vegetable "Flu Buster" Soup
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips, slightly adapted from Virus Busting Soup at My Foodie Universe
Recipe type: Soup
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 t ground turmeric
- 1 t peeled, diced ginger root
- 2 small potatoes, chopped (peeled, if you like)
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- juice of one lemon (about 2 T)
- 4 c vegetable and/or chicken broth
- 1/4-1/2t cayenne pepper
- Greek yogurt, if desired, for serving
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and turmeric, and saute for a few minutes until onions start to soften and become translucent.
- Add the remaining veggies, and salt and pepper, and saute for several minutes longer.
- Add lemon juice, and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Add the broth, cayenne and additional salt and pepper, if desired bring to a boil, cover and boil for 10-15 minutes, or until the veggies are soft.
- Use an immersion blender, or add the contents of the pot to a blender of food processor (in portions, if needed, based on the size of your blender), puree until smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the pot, and heat through.
- Serve with Greek yogurt, if desired.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2013/01/21/mama-mondays-vegetable-flu-buster-soup-for-reciperedux/