Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Recipe type: Salad, Dressing
- 2 c water
- 1/4 c real maple syrup (or 1/3 c sugar)
- 2 T cornstarch
- 1 egg (or 1/4 c egg substitute)
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4-1/3 c cider vinegar
- 6 slices well-cooked, crumbled bacon (I used center cut. Regular bacon or turkey bacon works fine, as well)
- Half of a romaine heart
- 5 or 6 grape tomatoes, halved
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the water, syrup, cornstarch, egg, and salt.
- Heat over medium low heat to a simmer, then cook, whisking frequently, until it is hot and starts to thicken.
- Increase the heat and allow to boil slightly to thicken completely.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar and crumbled bacon.
- Serve while still warm, or reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
- Lay the romaine heart on a plate, cut side up.
- Top with the tomatoes, pepper, and a few spoonfuls of the warm dressing.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2013/01/20/romaine-wedge-salad-with-hot-maple-bacon-dressing-for-sundaysupper-retro-recipes/