Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken
Recipe type: Slow cooker, main, chicken
- 1 1/2 -2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 T butter, light butter, or light butter spread (I used Land O'Lakes Light Butter)
- 2 t curry powder
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- 2 t garam masala
- 1/2 t ground ginger
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 (14 oz) can light coconut milk
- 1 c plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- Place the chicken, onion, garlic, and dry spices in the slow cooker.
- Add the butter, tomato paste, lemon juice and coconut milk.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Stir in yogurt about 15 minutes before serving.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve with brown rice, basmati rice, or jasmine rice. I also served it with steamed broccoli.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2013/01/13/lightened-up-slow-cooker-indian-butter-chicken-from-the-meltaways-for-sundaysupper/