Classic Crispy Snickerdoodle Cookies
Author: Betty Crocker's various cookbooks and website, but my technique
Recipe type: Cookie, dessert
Serves: about 6 dozen
- 2¾ c all purpose flour
- 2 t cream of tartar
- 1 t baking soda
- ¼ t salt
- ½ c vegetable shortening
- ½ c (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1½ c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 T sugar
- 3 t cinnamon
- Whisk or sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your mixer, cream the shortening, butter, and sugar at medium high speed thoroughly until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, and mix thoroughly.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, and slowly add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Place dough in the refrigerator until just cool enough to handle and roll into balls, about 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Using a small scoop or about 1 tablespoon of dough, form balls, and roll each ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat all sides.
- Place dough balls about two inches apart on a cookie sheet.
- Just before baking, take your three middle fingers and press the balls down slightly, until they are about a half inch thick.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until barely set and slightly golden. They will puff up at first while baking, then flatten out.
- Cool for a few minutes on the pan, then remove and cool completely on cooling racks.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/classic-snickerdoodles-for-my-dad/