Slow Cooker Beef Pot Roast with Mushrooms
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Recipe type: Slow Cooker, Main, Beef
- 1 (2 to 3-pound or bigger) beef eye round or top round roast (or another type of beef roast, such as chuck)
- 2 T olive oil
- ¼ c cornstarch
- 1 t kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c beef broth/stock
- ¼ c balsamic vinegar
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 medium or ½ of a large onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 c dry red wine (I've used Merlot and Zinfandel)
- 10 oz. cremini, baby bella, or white button mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 c baby carrots, or whole carrots, peeled and cut into “fingers”
- 1 large sprig of fresh rosemary
- ½ c frozen peas (no need to thaw)
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Combine the corn starch, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Roll the meat around in the cornstarch mixture until it is coated on all sides. Set aside the remaining cornstarch mixture.
- Sear the meat in the pan for 2-3 minutes on each side, until it is nice and browned.
- While the meat is searing, add the reserved cornstarch mixture, broth, balsamic vinegar, and tomato paste to the slow cooker, and stir to dissolve.
- Remove the meat from the pan, and put it in the slow cooker.
- Reduce the heat to low and pour the wine into the pan. Scrape up any of the brown bits with a wooden spoon, and pour everything into the crockpot.
- Arrange the onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrots, and rosemary around the roast.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or until the meat is cooked through. Add the peas during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Remove the meat, carrots, and mushrooms from the slow cooker. Ladle out or strain the liquid from the crockpot, and serve on the side as a gravy.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2012/12/02/slow-cooker-beef-pot-roast-with-mushrooms-inspired-by-giada-delaurentiis-for-sundaysupper/