Almond Joy Puppy Chow (GF and Vegan Option)
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 c shredded sweetened coconut flakes
- 8 c Chex (any variety, or a combination)
- 2 c unsalted almonds
- 1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips (use vegan and/or gluten-free chocolate chips, if needed)
- ½ c almond butter
- 4 T coconut oil* (see note below)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- In a food processor or Magic Bullet, combine the powdered sugar and coconut, and chop until the mixture is mostly a powder.
- Place the sugar-coconut mixture in a large plastic storage bag.
- Combine the Chex and almonds in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Combine the chocolate chips, almond butter, and coconut oil in a medium bowl and microwave on High for 1 minute (or melt on the stove over low heat, preferably in a double boiler).
- Stir until completely melted, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the Chex and almonds, and stir until the cereal is completely coated.
- Dump the mixture into the bag with the sugar and coconut, seal,and toss until the cereal and almonds are evenly coated.
- Pour onto wax paper to cool and dry. Stir in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
*If you don't have coconut oil, you could use butter, and maybe a little coconut extract for that additional coconut flavor)
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2012/05/30/almond-joy-puppy-chow-gf-and-vegan-option/