White Chocolate Salted Caramel Gooey Bars
Recipe type: Dessert, Cookies, Bars
- 2 c plus 2 T all-purpose flour
- ½ t baking soda
- ¾ t kosher salt
- 12 T unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm
- 1 c light brown sugar, packed
- ½ c granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 t pure vanilla extract
- 1½ c white chocolate chips
- ½ c Salted Caramel Sauce (see link below)
- coarse sugar or colored, for sprinkling
- coarse or flaked sea salt, for sprinkling
- Prepare the Salted Caramel Sauce
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil so that the edges of the foil overhang two sides of the pan, and spray the foil with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, on medium speed, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
- Beat in the egg, yolk, and vanilla until just combined.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low, and add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just combined - do not overbeat.
- Stir in the white chocolate chips.
- Dampen your fingers, and press half of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Pour the Salted Caramel Sauce over the dough and spread evenly.
- Drop the remaining dough in clumps over the caramel – the dough will bake together.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. (I actually had to bake mine a few minutes longer, and they were still fairly gooey from the extra caramel.)
- As soon as the bars come out of the oven, sprinkle the top with the sugar and sea salt.
- Allow the pan to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before carefully removing the bars from the pan and peeling off the foil.
- Cool completely before slicing.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2012/05/29/white-chocolate-salted-caramel-gooey-bars/