Two Cheese Butternut Squash Macaroni & Cheese
Author: Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 8 oz. box of quinoa or other gluten free-pasta, or half of a 1 lb. box of regular pasta
- 2-3 T chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 c milk (I used 1%)
- 1 T butter
- 1 t dry mustard
- 1 1/2 c sharp or extra sharp cheddar
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 c frozen peas
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Steam the butternut squash until it is soft and can be mashed easily.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, leaving it slightly undercooked, or al dente.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the butternut squash with the broth, adding enough so that it becomes a smooth puree.
- In a large saucepan, combine the squash puree, milk and butter, and heat over medium heat until it just barely comes to a boil.
- Add the dry mustard, cheddar cheese, and 1/4 c of the parmesan cheese, and stir until the cheese is fully melted and incorporated.
- Add the frozen peas, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add the pasta to the cheese sauce, and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a glass or ceramic baking dish, and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/4 c parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, and the top is slightly browned.
Recipe by Cupcakes & Kale Chips at http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/2012/04/03/two-cheese-butternut-squash-macaroni-cheese-and-daycare-dining/