A creamy sugar free custard with citrus flavor and covered in a rich chocolate sauce, feel free to indulge to your heart’s content in Clementine Panna Cotta with Chocolate Sauce.
I am so excited welcome Carolyn from All Day I Dream About Food. I met Carolyn back in May at BlogHer Food, and not only is she fun and funny, but she also makes amazing low carb, sugar free dishes, including lots of ridiculously amazing desserts. After having gestational diabetes myself, hearing her story about gestational diabetes that didn’t go away, and now living with the disease long term, I have been so interested in learning more about the low carb/high fat lifestyle. Be sure to stop by her blog and enter to win the NINJA Supra Kitchen System that she is giving away! Round out dinner by checking out Love Bakes Good Cakes for some Healthy Meals or The NY Melrose Family for some Healthy Snack Ideas in our #EatHealthy15 Series.
Clementine Panna Cotta with Chocolate Sauce
For those of you that are new to my blog, All Day I Dream About Food, I focus on a low carb, mostly grain-free diet. Low carb diets are also high fat diets, a concept that is a little scary to most people. However, science is increasingly coming out in favour of fat, even saturated fats, as healthy, while sugar is being duly vilified. I like to joke that I am trying to take over the world and make it sugar-free. We’re getting there, one recipe at a time.
But the great thing about this panna cotta recipe is that you can cut back on the fat if you so choose. Because gelatin sets the dessert, you can use regular milk in place of the cream. Or if you are dairy-free, you can use unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk. The choice is yours.
A small note on Swerve and erythritol: it is not, as many people think, an artificial sweetener. Erythritol is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol found in fruits and vegetables. It has little to no impact on blood glucose levels for most people and I have tested this over and over on myself. I consider it to be the best sugar alternative on the market.
To your health!
I am Carolyn, a writer, runner, mother and diabetic. I am also the evil mastermind behind All Day I Dream About Food. I live for food. Join me in my experiments in creating delicious low carb, gluten free recipes.
- 1 cup cream, divided (can also use milk, almond milk or coconut milk)
- 2 tsp grassfed gelatin (or 1 packet Knox gelatin)
- ⅓ cup Swerve Sweetener (or other erythritol-based sweetener)
- 2 tsp clementine zest
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk, unsweetened
- Juice of one clementine
- 3 tbsp butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 tbsp powdered Swerve Sweetener (or other powdered erythritol-based sweetener)
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- For the panna cotta, lightly grease 4 (four) ¾ cup ramekins.
- Add ½ cup cream to a medium saucepan and sprinkle with gelatin. Let sit 3 minutes until gelatin has thickened.
- Add remaining cream, sweetener, and clementine zest and turn heat to medium. Whisk until gelatin dissolves and steam begins to rise from the surface. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in almond or coconut mil and clementine juice. Divide among prepared ramekins, cover with plastic wrap and chill until set, about 3 hours.
- For the chocolate sauce, set a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Do not allow the bottom of the bowl to touch the water. Add butter, chopped chocolate, and sweetener and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- To unmold the panna cotta, run a sharp knife around the inside of each ramekin, then sit each in a pan of hot (not boiling) water for about 20 seconds. Place a plate on top of the ramekin and flip it over, giving it a good shake. Remove ramekin and drizzle each panna cotta with chocolate sauce.
- Alternatively, you can simply eat them straight out of the ramekins!
Saturated fatty acids: 21.47g
Total fat: 33.09g
Calories from fat: 297
Total dietary fiber: 1.44g
If you like this recipe from Carolyn, you’ll love these:
And here are a few healthier citrusy sweets from me:
- Dark Chocolate, Orange & Pistachio Greek Yogurt Cups
- Dark Chocolate & Orange Ricotta Tart with Honey Almond Crust
- Mango Strawberry Lime Popsicles