With all the flavors of the classic caramel apple coated in fudge, transform that favorite fall sweet treat into a healthy little energy bite with these Chocolate Dipped Caramel Apple Energy Balls.
Chocolate Dipped Caramel Apple Energy Balls
Sometimes I see a recipe and I think about putting my own spin on it, but it takes me a few weeks to refine my idea before I make it. Other times I’ll dream up something in my head, but I’ll note it down and revisit the idea for months and months before I attempt to make it.
Then there are those times when an idea pops into my head, and I run to the kitchen immediately. This my friends, was one of those times…
I have been scouring my local grocery stores for a simple ingredient – dried apples – to no avail. Go figure. So I ended up ordering a case from Amazon. Now my boys love snacking on them, but I thought I’d try to work them into a recipe, and I recalled my Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls. Suddenly I had visions of turning them into mini chocolate covered caramel apples. I think I succeeded.
What’s not to love about this snack? Cute, healthy, takes only a few minutes, you can easily choose ingredients to make them gluten free and vegan and nut free and no added sugar.
When you see a recipe you love, do you make it right away?
Are you as excited about this as I was? This recipe was originally share on Princess Pinky Girl, but noe I’m giving you the whole thing!
- ½ cup pitted dates
- 1 cup dried apples (not freeze dried, these are the chewy ones)
- ½ cup uncooked oats
- Pretzel sticks, cut straws, or appetizer picks
- 1 oz. high quality dark chocolate
- a few tablespoons chopped pecans, optional
- Combine the dates, dried apples, and oats in a food processor or high powered blender and process until it forms a thick paste.
- Using about a tablespoon of the mixture, roll into balls. Press a pretzel stick, straw, or appetizer pick into each ball and stand up each ball.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water.
- Dip each ball into melted chocolate, and, if desired, chopped peanuts, then set on wax paper to cool and harden.
- Store in an airtight container.
Enjoy this Chocolate Dipped Caramel Apple Energy Balls recipe!
Here are some more healthy treats with chocolate…
- Flourless Almond Joy Cookie Dough Ball
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Spice Energy Balls
- Dark Chocolate, Orange and Pistachio Greek Yogurt Cups
Plus some from my friends…
- No-Bake Almond Butter Fudge Bars from Lauren Kelly Nutrition
- Healthy Cookie Dough Chocolate Cups from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins from Food Faith Fitness