Experience the “joy” of a favorite candy bar in a frozen dessert form with yummy coconut gelato or sorbet or ice cream sandwiched between two fudgy, nutty cookies. For a frosty treat, it doesn’t get much better than Flourless Chocolate Almond Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches.
Flourless Chocolate Almond Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches
Never miss one of my Yummy Eats or Tasty Sweets! Sign up HERE to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered to your Inbox!
Welcome to Ice Cream Week 2014! This year the event is hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Susan of The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen. We have teamed up with 25 amazing bloggers to bring you ice cream treats all week long. I hope you have as much fun as we did. It’s going to be an epic week of frozen treats!
Up through fourth grade, I went to really small schools. We didn’t have a cafeteria in either, so when I went to the local public school in fifth grade, a whole new world opened up to me. A world that involved being able to purchase ice cream at lunchtime. This was epic! I think I convinced my mom to give me fifty cents to buy a chocolate eclair bar about once a week. Then, as a realllly special treat, I could occasionally get a dollar out of her to buy one of those packages chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches. This was like heaven to me. Same thing happened when we used to go to the community pool in the summer and the ice cream truck would show up. My sister and I were allowed to get popsicles or Italian ices or ice cream bars most days, but sometimes, just sometimes I could get that chocolate chip cookie sandwich. Heaven!
Guess what, guys – these are better…
The cookies alone are ridiculous. Fudgy and chewy (and gluten free, since they have no flour at all), with a little bit of crunch from the chopped almonds. Then smush some creamy coconut gelato between them, and now you’ve taken things to a whole new level. I mean, chocolate, almond, and coconut is just such a perfect flavor combination (ahem, Almond Joy anyone?), and in my world, ice cream makes everything better!
I bought my gelato, but if you want to whip up your own, go for it. You could even use sorbet or make a coconut milk-based ice cream, and then these are complete dairy free!
What’s your favorite flavor of ice cream?
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- About one pint coconut gelato, ice cream, or sorbet (homemade or storebought)
- Shredded sweetened or unsweetened coconut flakes, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with silicon baking mats or parchment.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg.
- Add the almond butter, brown sugar, baking soda, cocoa powder, and vanilla, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in the chopped almonds.
- Form balls with about 2 tablespoons of dough, place about six or seven on each baking sheet, a couple of inches apart, and press down to form thick disks.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until set but still slightly soft to the touch.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove gelato or sorbet from the freezer to soften slightly.
- Sandwich about one-quarter cup of gelato or sorbet between two cookies. If desired, roll the edges in coconut.
- Place the sandwiches in the freezer until ready to serve.
Like this recipe? You’ll love these…
- Flourless Peanut Butter Nutella S’Mores Sandwich Cookies
- Almond Joy Macaroons
- Browned Butter Pecan Fudge Ripple No-Churn Ice Cream
Be sure to stop by all of today’s Ice Cream Week Participants:
- Ice Cream Float by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Maple Bacon Bourbon Brown Sugar Ice Cream Sandwiches by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Coffee and Donuts Ice Cream Sandwiches by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate with Buttercream Icing Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Dulce de Leche and Pecan Sundae by My Catholic Kitchen
- Banana Split Finger Sandwiches by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Strawberries and Cream Ice Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cinnamon Chunk Ice Cream by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Chocolate Mint Frappe by Noshing with the Nolands
- Gluten Free Lemon Mint Frozen Custard by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Oreo Ice Cream by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peach Pie Milkshake by The Messy Baker
- Strawberry Vodka Float by Mind Over Batter
- Coconut Cream Fudge Bars by Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
- Flourless Chocolate Almond Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- How to Make an Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Soda by Mother Would Know
- No Churn Low Carb Mint Ice Cream by Yours and Mine are Ours
And if all of these amazing ice cream recipes aren’t enough, now you get to win an amazing prize pack to help you churn up a ton of your own! Remember – ONE WINNER TAKES ALL!
Disclaimer: I did not receive any product for participating in this event. The #IceCreamWeek Giveaway is open to U.S. and Canada residents only. ONE winner will receive ALL the prizes listed. Giveaway ends at midnight on August 31st.
a Rafflecopter giveaway