Yay! It is time for another Crazy Cooking Challenge from Moms Crazy Cooking. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed when I saw that the assignment was Grilled Cheese. I have really been trying to stay gluten-free, and haven’t been super-crazy about the gluten-free breads. But this challenge prompted me to buy some, and give it a go. And I figured, what better time than Celiac Awareness Month. So I picked up seem of Rudi’s Gluten-Free Bakery Multigrain Bread. And I am so glad I did. I do make my grilled cheese sammies a bit more panini-like, not using a ton of oil. This technique helps to make the gluten-free bread nice and crisp on the outside, which I think improves the texture overall.
Grilled cheese has returned to my life! I’ve actually experimented with a couple of other sandwiches, and have plans for a few more. So I hope to have some more grilled cheese sammies out to you soon, tested out with both regular bread and gluten-free bread.
I don’t remember what brought me to it, but I stumbled on this Broccoli Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich from Cooking Classy. The Bug LOVES broccoli, so I knew I had found one that was definitely worth a try. But, The Hubby can’t eat a lot of ham, so I thought about subbing in some chicken. Well, this made me think of the Pampered Chef Chicken & Broccoli Braid, which I have made many times (before the wheat allergy), and everyone always devours it. So I kind of combined the two ideas into this Chicken & Broccoli Grilled Cheese. This is an easy way to get the same flavors, but you only have to make as much as you need.
And I could make it on gluten-free bread for myself!
The Bug was definitely into it. The Hubby said it was good, but naturally he would prefer his grilled cheese with broccoli. But I am sure he just doesn’t want to admit that he really liked it.
Say “Grilled Cheese!”
What are your favorite Grilled Cheese combos?
Chicken & Broccoli Grilled Cheese
- About 4 oz. cooked chicken, shredded or finely chopped
- 1 c steamed broccoli, finely chopped
- 3/4 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 c Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1 T Greek yogurt
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 8 slices of your favorite bread
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, broccoli, cheddar, Parmesan, garlic powder, Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, and salt & pepper.
- Divide the mixture evenly between four of the bread slices, and top with another slice of bread.
- Melt butter and olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat.
- Cook the sandwiches for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Covering the pan with a lid during cooking will help the inside get all warm and gooey before the bread gets too browned.
This recipe was shared with:
Recipes for My Boys’ Thursday’s Treasures
Amee’s Savory Dish Fit and Fabulous Fridays #31