For the second year in a row, #SundaySupper and Gallo Family Vineyards are here to celebrate the best month ever – National Grilled Cheese Month! Wine and cheese is a natural pairing, so wine and grilled cheese makes perfect sense, don’t you think? Even moreso when you pair unique and creative ingredients right in your grilled cheese sandwich, like this rich and creamy Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese.
Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
I think grilled cheese is one of those foods that just evokes memories for everyone. When my mom made me grilled cheese, it was usually those individually wrapped slices of American cheese on your basic white bread. She buttered the outside of the bread and melted butter in the pan, and while the sandwich was golden brown, it was kind of, well, squishy. But as a kid, I loved it! For lunch on Saturday, after a morning of cartoons and helping her dust, that was my payoff. Between all the butter, the super soft bread and that, well, let’s be honest, rubbery cheese, her grilled cheese was just one big, gooey mess of a sandwich – ahhhh, comfort!
Her grilled cheese was a stark contrast to the one I used to order at that famous chain restaurant that is really more known for its ice cream than its meals. The bread was thicker and firmer, and the cheese seemed to resolidify by the time it got to the table, so overall it was much drier, but strangely, I loved that one as well. Or maybe I loved the ice cream sundae I got afterwards as long as I finished my dinner.
My dad’s was somewhere in the middle – crispier than mom’s, but not as dry as the restaurant one. He used butter in the pan but mayo on the bread, and I seem to recall that while he also used American cheese, it was the kind sliced at the deli counter. I don’t remember the details, to be honest, because the shining star of his grilled cheese meals was the French Onion Soup that he made with it. So much cheesy, carby goodness!
These days, I make grilled cheese my way, or as I like to say, “fancy pants”. You know, something like this…
When I had the idea for this Roasted Cauliflower, Ham & Brie Grilled Cheese in my head, I actually wasn’t sure the combination was going to work. But it only took one bite to convince me that this was truly a winner. Brie is so smooth and creamy, so it’s nice to add something with a little bit of texture, like the cauliflower. I just used some leftovers of my Basic Roasted Cauliflower. I’m sure you could just use steamed cauliflower, but the caramelized, earthy flavor from the roasty toasty bits just tastes so fabulous with the rich flavor of the Brie. And while I liked the little bit of sweet and salty from the ham, it would still be fabulous as a vegetarian sammie.
I don’t like my grilled cheese sandwiches too greasy, so I put a thin layer of butter on the bread and use olive oil in the pan. This way you get the buttery flavor and golden brown color, but the bread still stays crisp. And for me, I swap the whole wheat bread that I use for the family for a couple of gluten free slices. I also use a low heat and cover the pan so that it gets all melty good on the inside without overcooking the outside.
I have to say, it’s really a tough call whether this tops my grilled cheese from last year’s event – the Kentucky Hot Brown Grilled Cheese! Maybe you should try both and let me know what you think 😉
Since this is grown-up grilled cheese, it definitely needs a wine pairing, am I right? This time I went with my favorite Gallo Family wine, their Riesling. This light-bodied wine was a perfect balance to the buttery, indulgent Brie, and the crisp, sweet flavor paired so nicely with the roasted cauliflower and the toasted bread. And while I chose to enjoy my grilled cheese with a white wine this time, should you prefer a red, it would be equally delicious paired with the other wine I selected, the Gallo Family Pinot Noir. The earthy flavors and fruity aromas would enhance the roasted cauliflower, and the smooth finish is certainly a complement to the smoothness of the melty Brie.
Whether classic or creative, traditional or modern, grilled cheese is timeless. So it calls for pairing it with timeless wines, like those from the Gallo Family. Not only do we have some amazing recipes for you this week, but you can also check out these 20 Grilled Cheese Recipes to pair with your favorite wines of Gallo Family Vineyards. Be sure to connect with Gallo Family on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube, and check out the store locator to find their wines near you!
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Are your a Grilled Cheese aficionado? Check out all of the ooey gooey masterpieces at the bottom of this post and on the Recipes Paired With Wine Pinterest Board!
What’s your most creative grilled cheese combo? And with what wine would you pair it?
Get Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered to your Inbox! Every Friday you’ll see all of the Yummy Eats & Tasty Sweets from the week. Sign up HERE.
Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese
An unexpected and incredible flavor combination with rich, melty Brie cheese.
For each sandwich (just multiply by how many sandwiches you are making)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 oz Brie cheese, rind removed
- 1/4 cup Roasted Cauliflower
- 2 slices ham
- 2 slices of your favorite sandwich (I used whole wheat for the family, and gluten free for myself)
- About 1-2 teaspoons olive oil for the pan. divided if you are cooking the sandwiches in batches, and not all at once in one large pan.
- Spread the outside of each slice of bread with the butter.
- Layer about half of the Brie on one slice of bread, then top with the ham, cauliflower, and the rest of the Brie.
- Top with another slice of buttered bread.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat.
- Cook the sandwiches for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and the cheese has melted. Covering the pan with a lid during cooking will help
Here are a few of my favorite grilled cheese sandwiches from the past…
- Chicken & Broccoli Grilled Cheese
- Bacon, Corn & Avocado Grilled Cheese
- Strawberry, Bacon & Havarti Grilled Cheese
Plus all of this week’s #SundaySupper Sammies paired with Gallo Family wines…
- Bacon Inverted Grilled Cheese by Brunch with Joy
- BBQ Pulled Pork and Smoked Gouda Grilled Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Brie, Raspberry and Honey Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Pesto Grilled Cheese by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Egg Prosciutto Grilled Cheese by Magnolia Days
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by The Redhead Baker
- Garlicky Anaheim Pepper Grilled Cheese by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Kale Grilled Cheese by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Cheese with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Grilled Havarti with Onion Jam by Nosh My Way
- Grilled Gruyère on Rye with Crisped Sage and Pink Lady Slices by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Loaded Sharp Cheddar and Black Forest Ham Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Longaniza Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Peaceful Cooking
- Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sandwich by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Tomato Caprese Grilled Cheese by One Sweet Mess
- Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Bacon Jam Grilled Cheese by Feed Me, Seymour
- Tomato, Prosciutto and Gruyère Grilled Cheese by Casa de Crews
- Twenty Ways to Make Grilled Cheese plus Wine Pairings on the Sunday Supper Movement website