Layers of your favorite brownies (I have a couple of flour less, gluten-free options for you), light peanut butter mousse, rich chocolate fudge, and fluffy whipped cream, for a creamy, dreamy dessert that is pure heaven, sink a spoon into these Brownie Peanut Butter Mousse Parfaits.
Brownie Peanut Butter Mousse Parfaits
That’s it, I’m done making plans way in advance. I mean, I’m a planner by nature which is probably what leads to the problem. You see, anytime I want to get together with friends, we all scour our jam-packed calendars looking for a date that we are all free, and it takes fifty texts, several emails, and we still can’t settle on a date that is any closer than three months away. Then undoubtedly as the date approaches and we all start getting excited, a last minute obligation comes up, or one of the kids gets sick, or one of us gets sick. It’s always something.
Then sometimes, just sometimes, I randomly say, “Hey, what are you doing tomorrow? Wanna bring the kids over to play, and we can throw something together for dinner?” And lo and behold, it works! No optimizing times and nap schedules, no discussing and perfecting the menu to make sure we have (way more than) enough food, no shopping to get anything else we might need. Just make what you have and come over, let the kids run around like maniacs, and eat and drink and chit chat.
This happened a few weeks ago with one of my girlfriends. We were free, she was free. She had been planning to make a broccoli salad, and we had been planning to grill steak and chicken. She had fixin’s for some sangria slushies, I had visions of parfaits in my head.
And let me tell you, I’m glad they were able to come over, or I would have been forced to eat all of these myself…
Which would not have been too difficult, because these Brownie Peanut Butter Mousse Parfaits were simply amazing. There really is nothing else to say. I mean, what else do you expect with this combination? First, your favorite brownies (might I suggest these or these). Second, lift and fluffy, perfectly peanut buttery, slightly salty and not too sweet peanut butter mousse. Third, fudge, just plain old chocolate fudge. And finally, ever so slightly sweetened whipped cream. Then repeat. Just layer after layer after layer of pure perfection. This was one of those desserts where you are torn between eating it quickly because it is so good and goes down so easily, versus slowly savoring each and every bite to make it last as long as possible.
These are pretty good size parfaits. They are light (in texture and weight, not in calories – sorry folks), but you can make smaller ones, as I did for the kids. So you can make six good sized parfaits, or about a dozen mini ones if you are having a dessert buffet.
And you know I think a dessert is pretty incredible when I just keep showing you photo after photo, because you I want to tempt you as much as I tempted myself. Here, go ahead, try to resist…
I am so excited to enter my Brownie Peanut Butter Mousse Parfaits into the Dixie Crystals Brownie Dessert Recipe Contest 2014. Awhile back I made these Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Cheesecake Brownies, and although they were delicious, since they weren’t exactly what I was going for at that moment, I immediately tucked them in the freezer for future “repurposing”. When this recipe contest came up, I’m so happy I had a brownie stash in the freezer. And while those brownies were amazing in these parfaits, you could also go with my Flourless Peanut Butter Cup Brownies, or your favorite homemade or storebought, regular or gluten-free brownie. Next time you bake some up, stack some in your freezer for when you have last minute dinner guests, or are simply craving light, fluffy chocolate and peanut butter goodness.
Are you a planner, or more spur of the moment?
- ¼ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 pasteurized eggs
- 1½ cups Dixie Crystals confectioners sugar
- 1½ cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup cream
- 2 T powdered sugar
- 2 t vanilla
- About half of a pan of your favorite brownies, cut into chunks (about 2½-3 cups)*
- Chocolate sprinkles, shaved chocolate, or mini chocolate chips for garnish, if desired
- Whisk together the water, cocoa powder, and corn syrup in a small pot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate chips. Stir until smooth.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to use, cooling at least to room temperature.
- In a chilled bowl, using chilled beaters or whisk attachment for your stand mixer, whip the cream to form soft peaks. Reserve in the refrigerator.
- With a stand mixer on high speed, beat the eggs and confectioners sugar until pale in color and doubled in volume, about 5 minuter.
- Add the peanut butter and whip on high speed for a minute.
- Using a large rubber spatula, gently fold in the whipped cream in three or four additions. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the parfaits.
- In a chilled bowl, using chilled beaters or whisk attachment for your stand mixer, whip the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla to form soft peaks. Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the parfaits.
- If making large parfaits, divide about one-third of the brownies between six parfait glasses. Divide about one-third of the peanut butter mousse between the glasses, and do the same with the fidge and the whipped cream. Repeat layers two more times.
- If making small parfaits, you can do one to two layers of each component.
- Garnish with chocolate sprinkles, shaved chocolate, or mini chocolate chips, if desired.
I used these Flourless Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Cheesecake Brownies. These Flourless Peanut Butter Cup Brownies would also be delicious for gluten free options.
Want some more parfaits?
- Bananas Foster Greek Yogurt Cheesecake Parfaits
- Franken-Blueberry Greek Yogurt Parfaits
- Carrot Cake Greek Yogurt Cheesecake Parfaits
Plus some from my friends…
- Strawberry Brownie Parfaits from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Cherry & Granola Breakfast Parfaits from The Messy Baker
- Individual Tiramisu Parfaits from That Skinny Chick Can Bake