Casseroles – for so many of us they conjure images of childhood dinners or classes comfort food or friends bringing us a meal in a time of need. This week #SundaySupper has over 40 Captivating Casseroles for breakfast, main dishes, sides or desserts. If you love my copycat cauliflower “tater” tots as much as I do, but are cooking for a crowd or just want an easier option, you have to make low carb, veggie packed Baked Cauli-Tots Casserole.
Baked Cauli-Tots Casserole
The paper towel holder is a major point of contention between The Hubby and I. Shortly after we got married, eight and half years ago, we took on a major kitchen remodel. As we were choosing all of our colors and finishes, something possessed me to paint the kitchen orange. Believe it or not, it was actually super cool. There wasn’t a lot of bare wall space, since cabinets and appliances and closet doors covered a majority of the walls, which means it wasn’t an overwhelming WHAM – ORANGE! It was more like an accent color. Yeah, subtle orange, as if that’s a thing. So as I was shopping for accessories, I came across a paper towel holder that had a brushed stainless vertical bar, which matched all of our appliances, and a ceramic orange base. SOLD! Now if you know anything about The Hubby, he is all about function, whereas, though I don’t have the best sense of style, I do at least try to make things look nice. Read – I like things to match. Coordinating contrasting colors and patterns is not my area of expertise. So all that I cared about was the fact that it was orange. Yay orange! I wasn’t considering its operability. I mean, it’s a paper towel holder. What factors are there to consider, really? Well, The Hubby happened to load that first roll of paper towel on the paper towel holder, and since day one, he has loathed the thing. He has threatened to toss it in the garbage repeatedly. He will avoid using the last paper towel so that he doesn’t have to change the roll, and he’s not typically one to try to get out of chores. Why does he avoid this task? Because the the screw on the knob thing that keeps the roll on the holder is super long. As in, like, you start unscrewing it, and five minutes later you’ve finally gotten knob off so you can change the roll. Then you have to screw it back in. Changing the paper towel roll – 10-15 minute chore. But it’s orange! He was not happy that it made it to the new house. In fact, the previous owners, in addition to all of the other random stuff they left behind (that’s another story for another day), left their paper towel holder. I thought that was going to be the end of the road for my paper towel holder. But we needed a paper towel holder in the downstairs bar. Guess where that one went and guess where my orange one is. Me and my orange paper towel holder – 1, Hubby – 0 #WINNING You know what else is #WINNING? This… Yeah, baby, it’s been a long time coming, but ladies and gentlemen, let me present to you Baked Cauli-Tots Casserole. All the Baked Cauli-Tots taste and crispness, but soooooo much easier. Plus, it’s double a normal batch of cauli-tots, so you can easily whip them up if you are having company. Or, if you’re in my house, you don’t have to ration them out to two tot-loving kiddos just to make sure you get at least a couple for yourself. And if you’re wondering why I rambled on about a paper towel holder, well, I’m a sloppy cook. So we kind of go through a lot of paper towels, especially cleaning up the rogue cauliflower bits that inevitably go flying around the kitchen when I shred it up to make tots. If I can remove the messy steps of scooping the tot mixture into the mini muffin tins (and undoubtedly slopping it all over the counter) and then cleaning all the little wells of the pan later on, I’ll take it. The Hubby too. Just means we don’t have to change the paper towel roll as often. Serve up squares of Baked Cauli-Tots Casserole in place of hash browns for breakfast, or alongside some burgers or chili. It’s a surefire way to get everyone to eat some more vegetables. And you don’t even have to tell those reluctant veggie-eaters that it’s made out of cauliflower. I promise, they’ll never know. They’ll just love the crispity crunchity cheddary goodness. Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement. And get the rest of today’s menu of Captivating Casseroles from breakfast to dessert at the bottom of this post. What chore or household task do you find the most annoying?
Never miss any Yummy Eats & Tasty Sweets! Have new Cupcakes & Kale Chips recipes delivered to your email by clicking HERE!
Baked Cauli-Tots Casserole
An easy, cheesy, crispy side dish packed with veggies. Move over tater tots and hash browns and make room for this casserole.
- 6 cups (about one head) shredded cauliflower (see Note)
- 8 oz. (about 2 cups) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cornmeal (can also use ground oats or bread crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- a few grinds black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13 glass or ceramic casserole dish with oil or coking spray.
- Place the uncooked shredded cauliflower in a kitchen towel or several layers of paper towels and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl, and mix together thoroughly. I like to use a fork.
- Transfer the mixture to the casserole dish and press down firmly until it is even and packed down.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown.
Here are some of my all time favorite casseroles:
- World’s Best Lasagna
- Butternut Squash Macaroni & Cheese
- Turkey Sausage & Mushroom Spaghetti Squash Casserole
And check out all of these #SundaySupper Captivating Casseroles: Captivating Breakfast Casseroles
- Boozy Baked French Toast from Brunch with Joy
- Orange & Date Wife Saver Breakfast Casserole from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Spinach, Sausage and Polenta Breakfast Casserole from The Redhead Baker
Appetizing Casserole Sides
- Baked Cauli-Tots Casserole from Cupcake and Kale Chips
- Savory Sweet Potato and Sausage Bread Pudding from Nik Snacks
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Casserole from Take A Bite Out of Boca
Main Event Casseroles
- Artichoke and Spinach Macaroni and Cheese Casserole from Ruffles & Truffles
- Baked Penne with Roasted Cauliflower and Italian Sausage from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bison Meatloaf Casserole from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cheesy Chicken Corkscrew Casserole from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cheesy, Creamy, Cauliflower and Sausage Casserole from Eating In Instead
- Chicken Enchiladas from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Bake from Alida’s Kitchen
- Chicken Ramen Mini Casseroles from The Ninja Baker
- Chicken with Whole Grains Casserole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chinese Noodle Casserole from Momma’s Meals
- Crab Casserole for Two from Magnolia Days
- Homemade Poppy Seed Chicken from Food Done Light
- Fully Loaded Tater Tot Casserole from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- King Ranch Casserole from The Texan New Yorker
- King Ranch Mac and Cheese from The Weekend Gourmet
- Baked Ziti with Meatballs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Mexican Lasagna from MealDiva
- Mom’s Taco Casserole from Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Moroccan Polenta Casserole from Pancake Warriors
- Moussaka from Nosh My Way
- Neeps & Tatties Casserole from Happy Baking Days
- Quick No Boil Tuna Pasta Bake from Mess Makes Food
- Sausage Peppers and Onion Pasta Casserole from Family Foodie
- Southwestern Spaghetti Pie from The Messy Baker
- Cheesy, Layered Italian Pasta Torta from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Stove-top Four Cheese Mac and Cheese from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Supreme Pizza Strata from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet Corn and Green Chile Chicken Tamale Pie from Simply Healthy Family
- Taco Casserole from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Decadent Dessert and Sweet Casseroles
- Baked Lemon Dessert from Food Lust People Love
- The Best Homemade Cinnamon Rolls from Pies and Plots
- Butterscotch Bread Pudding from The Foodie Army Wife
- Classic Apple Crisp from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Ultimate Deep Dish Brownies from Recipe for Perfection
- Vegan Oreo Rice Krispie Treats from Killer Bunnies, Inc