The #SundaySupper family loves My Big Fat Greek Wedding, so we had to celebrate the release of My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 with a celebration worthy of an “OPA!” with over 35 Greek recipes, from traditional to creative. I lightened up a traditional Greek comfort food (also making it grain free, low carb, and paleo) making it perfect for those who love soup even in the spring with my Avgolemono Greek Chicken Zoodle Soup.
Avgolemono Greek Chicken Zoodle Soup
There are many things I miss about New Jersey, and one of them is this amazing little Greek restaurant that we used to love. The keftedes. The souvlaki. The moussaka. The hummus. The saganaki. The bakalava. ALL. SO. GOOD. And don’t just take this little Polish girl’s word for it. After I had already been going there for a few years, I was chatting with my Greek coworker. And I’m not talking about a coworker whose grandparents were born in Greece. He himself was born in Greece. Well he told me that it was the best Greek restaurant he had been to since he moved to the United States, even better than the pricy places in New York City. But honestly, I don’t know if I even would have sought out good Greek food if it weren’t for My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Of course that movie was hilarious and touching and had scenes and characters and lines we will never forget, but it also piqued my interest in all things Greek, especially, as the foodie that I am, the cuisine. And I am so lucky to have been able to experience amazing and authentic Greek cuisine even if a trip to the exotic isles has not yet been crosses off my bucket list. One thing I never actually ordered, though, was avgolemono, the traditional Greek chicken and rice soup, flavored and thickened with an egg and lemon mixture. But earlier this year I saw this recipe from The Mediterranean Dish, and I knew it was time to try it. After enjoying the traditional version with rice, I wanted to change it up a bit and make this… While the classic was delicious (and already naturally gluten free), I wanted to make a light version that was not only low carb and grain free, but also the perfect soup recipe as the weather started to warm up and we are moving away from the rich comfort foods of winter to the fresher flavors of spring. Thus, Avgolemono Greek Chicken Zoodle Soup was born. I swapped out the usual rice for some zucchini noodles, and it still had a ton of flavor and was just as satisfying, but was filled with even more veggie goodness. Plus this is perfect for anyone on a grain free, dairy free, low carb, or paleo diet. Or anyone who just wants a tasty and nutritious meal! Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement. Then make sure you check all of the Big Fat Greek Recipes at the bottom of this post! What is your favorite line or scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding?
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Avgolemono Greek Chicken Zoodle Soup
A lighter and veggie-packed version of the traditional Greek comfort food.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- a total of 2 cups chopped carrots and celery, about 1/2 inch pieces (I used about 1 1/2 cup carrots and 1/2 cups celery)
- 1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- about 4 cups cooked boneless chicken breasts, shredded (store-bought rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken breast will work)
- 1/2 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 zucchini, spiaralized
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots, celery and onions, season with salt and pepper, and saute for about five minutes or until starting to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the chicken broth and bay leaves, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the cooked chicken.
- Prepare the egg-lemon sauce by whisking together the lemon juice and eggs. While whisking, slowly add 2 ladles of the broth from the pot to temper the eggs. Once fully combined, slowly pour the egg-lemon sauce into the pot while stirring, then remove from the heat immediately.
- Divide the spiralized succhini between six bowls and pour the soup over the zoodles. The heat from the soup will cook the zucchini. Or if you will be serving the soup immediately or don't mind soft zoodles, you can add them directly to the pot.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired
Enjoy! Here’s some more low carb Greek recipes…
And then check out all of these Greek eats from the #SundaySupper crew! Greek Appetizers:
- Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salata) by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Greek-Style Sliders with Feta Aioli by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mushroom, Kalamata Olive and Feta Stuffed Phyllo with Whipped Feta Dip by Pook’s Pantry
- Rosemary and Olive Grissini by What Smells So Good?
- Socca Pizza with Spinach, Roasted Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, and Feta by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spanakopita Bites by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Tiropitas (Greek Cheese Triangles ) by Moore or Less Cooking
- Tyropita Appetizer Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Avgolemono Chicken Zoodle Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Quick and Easy Greek Avgolemono Soup by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Shrimp Avgolemono with Spinach by Monica’s Table
- Vegetarian Magiritsa (Greek Easter Soup) by Palatable Pastime
- Baklava French Toast with Cinnamon Honey Syrup by A Mind Full Mom
Greek Main Dishes:
- Brizola (Greek-style Pork Chops) by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Greek Salad Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Greek Chirashi Sushi by NinjaBaker
- Greek Breakfast Wraps by Brunch-n-Bites
- Greek Meatball Salad by Magnolia Days
- Gyro Meatballs with Lemon Rice by Casa de Crews
- Kotopita (Greek Chicken Pie) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Mediterranean Meatball Gyros Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Slow-Cooked Lamb Shoulder with Roasted Vegetables by Food Lust People Love
- Souvlaki Chicken Wraps with Homemade Tzatziki by The Crumby Cupcake
- Youvetsi (Greek beef or lamb and orzo stew) by Caroline’s Cooking
Greek Side Dishes:
- Greek-style rice salad by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Greek Zucchini Fritters by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Tzatziki Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spanakorizo by Feeding Big and More
- Chocolate Baklava by The Chef Next Door
- Greek Lemon Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Greek Spice Cake by Our Good Life
- Greek Walnut Cake by Pies and Plots
- Greek Wedding Cookies – Kourabiethes/Kourabiedes by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Loukoumades – Greek Donuts by The TipToe Fairy
- Loukoumades (Greek honey fritters) by The Redhead Baker
- Ouzito: The Greek Mojito by Hardly A Goddess
Plus Baked Shrimp with Feta plus More Greek Cuisine from Sunday Supper Movement