Last week I asked on Facebook what types of recipes everyone would like to see more of, and one of the popular answers was recipes for getting your kids to eat their veggies. For this, I knew I had to go to my friend Lauren from Lauren Kelly Nutrition. She brought an amazingly easy and flavorful recipe with enough protein for a meatless main dish, or a fabulous, healthy side dish. I definitely have to try her Vegetable Parmesan Quinoa in the Slow Cooker!
Vegetable Parmesan Quinoa in the Slow Cooker
Lauren has a husband and three boys. And she is a nutritionist. So you know she is the master of finding ways to get the kiddies to eat the good stuff. But I love that she is also “real” – while I love recipes liker her Quinoa & Black Bean Stuffed Spaghetti Squash or Cornbread Taco Pie, she also has Healthy Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets and Peanut Butter Cake (to feed the chocolate and peanut butter addiction we both have). Head on over to find her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Take it away, Lauren…
Hello, my name is Lauren Kelly and my blog is Lauren Kelly Nutrition. I have three small kids and a husband that I love to cook healthy meals for. I have written two cookbooks, The Everything Wheat-Free Diet Cookbook and The Greek Yogurt Cookbook. I love to share my passion for creating healthy recipes with others. I am also the staff nutritionist at The Bar Method in Montclair, NJ as well as own a private practice in nutrition counseling.
I have three small (very hungry) little boys so I feel that preparation and time management is crucial for maintaining a healthy regimen. I believe that we should all eat our vegetables and healthy grains but I always allow my kids to have a treat after dinner (which are mostly homemade and healthy). I believe in moderation, I mean, we all have to live a little, right? Life is about balance. And that is what I want to teach my kids. If you see me out somewhere you will see me enjoying a glass of wine and taking a bite of a dessert.
I decided to share this super easy and healthy Vegetable Parmesan in the Slow Cooker. If you are busy and haven’t invested in a slow cooker yet, you need to. It will change your life. It’s my job to make other people’s lives a little easier. And the slow cooker is just one way of doing that.
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups BPA-FREE organic vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 can BPA-FREE small white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped (not in oil)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, wiped clean and sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a 4 or 5 quart slow cooker, place quinoa and broth and top with remaining ingredients.
- Place on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.
- Fluff with a fork, top with Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately.
Thanks Lauren! Sounds and looks super-yummy!
Want some more ideas for getting your kids to eat their veggies?
Plus a few from my friends…
- Zucchini Spaghetti from A Family Feast
- Parmesan Crusted Carrots from Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Twice Baked Cauliflower from Betsylife